MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11 AT 7:30 AT KINGS BAY YOUTH ORGANIZATION CLUBHOUSE:
Kings Bay Youth Organization
2670 Coyle Street
Brooklyn, NY, 11235
We will discuss the following:
THE 2019 NY TRAVEL BASEBALL CHAMPIONS WILL BE DECIDED AT MCU PARK. For each division, the 2019 Spring Playoff Champions will play against the 2019 Summer Playoff Champions in late August at MCU Park.
We think a lot of teams can go into league play believing they have a shot at this. The teams that qualify for the playoffs are not necessarily the “best” teams in the division but the teams with the most points. Points are earned, in part, by playing your games since a team gets 1 point for just showing up. Of course, they get 3 points for a win or 2 points for a tie. Also, teams with a large number of dates crossed out on their exception calendar will be scheduled fewer games in the first place.
Rainouts happen. We suggest that you call your opponent as soon as possible to schedule a make-up. If you wait until you discover that you are a couple of points out of the playoffs, it may be too late to find your opponent available to play. We offer no remedy if a rainout never gets played.
So now teams will be less inclined to cancel games knowing it could cost them a trip to MCU Park. This will result in fewer cancellations and more games being played.
Please note the following stipulations for eligibility to the playoffs:
- Team must be paid in full
- Final rosters and photo copies of birth certificates must be in by August 15 for Summer League teams. Final rosters and photo copies of birth certificates must be in by June 15 for Spring League teams. The Spring playoffs are for the weekend league teams.
- The Spring League weekend champion will only be allowed roster changes for the championship game if they play in the Summer League. The August 15 deadline would apply for their new players.
- If the Spring League champion is not available for the championship game, the second place Summer league team will replace them.
- If there is only one division for an age group in the Spring, the Spring weekend champion will be put into the higher level championship game. For example, if there is one Bantam division in the Spring, the Spring weekend champion will face the Bantam East Summer champions. In this example, the Bantam Central championship game at MCU Park would include the top two Summer teams. The same idea applies to other age groups.
Of course, if we have all divisions in the Spring, there will be one team from the Spring and one team from the Summer for each championship.
Also note that MCU Park gets reserved for only 2 hours per game, so for the championship game only (for the Summer Season):
- No new inning will start after 1 hour and 40 minutes
- The game is over at 1 hour and 50 minutes. If the visiting team ties or takes the lead in the top half of the last inning, the game will end as suspended with TWO champions. THE AWARD IS PLAYING AT MCU PARK; So, in effect – two teams win the NY Travel Baseball Championship.
Here are some more specifics regarding the playoffs. Divisions with 7 or more teams will have 4 teams make the playoffs. Divisions with 6 or fewer teams will have only the top two teams make the playoffs.
- Teams with the same number of points in the
standings will be seeded using the following tie-breakers:
- MOST WINS
- FEWEST LOSSES
- HEAD-TO HEAD COMPETITION (wins and losses)
- HEAD-TO HEAD COMPETITION (run differential with no game exceeding a 12 run differential.
- WINNING PERCENTAGE VS COMMON OPPONENTS
- COIN FLIP
Starting in 2019 all weekend double-headers in the Spring Season and the Fall season will be on Sunday IN ALL DIVISIONS. This has worked out for the younger age groups by allowing us to create divisions based on team strength as opposed to which day they prefer. We will allow for more flexibility in the Summer since the week night games are included in the same standings. So, Saturday teams can meet Sunday teams during the week.
We will be adding two new divisions in the Spring of 2019. Cub Regional and Bantam West will be for 10U and 12U respectively who wish to play little league style rules. Also, these teams will be scheduled only a single game on the weekend and another game, part of the same standings, during the week.
The prices will be:
SPRING LEAGUE (with a chance to play at MCU Park) $350
SPRING WEEKNIGHT LEAGUE (FREE)
SUMMER LEAGUE (with a chance to play at MCU Park) $350
FALL LEAGUE $200
All Spring teams (including the new divisions) and All Summer teams will be represented at MCU Park for the all-star games. In 2019, the all-star games will be in early August. In 2018, each team was able to send at least 3 players to the all-star game. However, this number varies with the number of teams in the league.
But here are some incentives we are giving to organizations:
- Pay by March 1 for Spring or June 1 for Summer and the team gets an additional all-star.
- Pay by March 15 for Spring or June 15 for Summer and YOU WILL ONLY HAVE TO PAY FOR 4 TEAMS. So if you send us 6 teams, two of them are free. If you send us 9 teams, 5 of them are free.
QUESTIONS? Call David 347-247-8669 or Jan 917-815-5939